Deadline to submit applications is November 30, 2016.
Through funding from the US Department of Agriculture, travel awards are available for attendees employed at or enrolled in a United States institution. These awards can be used to assist with the costs of travel, food, accommodation and registration for the meeting. Award amount will vary based upon geographic location and funds available. Dependent upon additional sponsorship, a very limited number of travel awards may be available for attendees from countries that do not have established research funding infrastructures.
The travel awards are intended to facilitate the attendance of individuals who will especially benefit from attendance, and who may ordinarily not be able to attend. Thus, strong encouragement is given to:
- undergraduate and graduate students, postdoctoral fellows and junior faculty,
- any faculty who have recently entered into or plan to enter the field of oomycete genomics, bioinformatics or molecular biology,
- researchers who are minorities, or who are from institutions under-represented in the US research infrastructure, and
- individuals working on oomycete animal pathogens.
- researchers who have not previously received a travel award
A very limited number of travel awards may also be available for applicants from countries that lack an established research funding infrastructure. These are defined as ALL non-US countries plus also excluding all countries of Western Europe, Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, India, Japan, Korea, Mexico, New Zealand, Singapore, and Taiwan.
How to apply:
Send your one page CV and a one-page justification in pdf format for how the fellowship will benefit your research to Joel Shuman (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than November 30, 2016. Please include your advisor or mentor (if applicable) and your relevant oomycete work or interest. Please name your files accordingly:
- lastname_firstname_vita (e.g. shuman_joel_vita)
- lastname_firstname_application (e.g. shuman_joel_application) OR
- lastname_firstname_vita-and-app (if combining files)
If you plan to submit an abstract for a poster or talk, you may send a copy in pdf format with your application. Note that an abstract is not required for your application but may help inform the committee’s decision. We will inform you by email if your application has been successful no later than December 8, 2016. Applications received after the deadline will be considered only if there are funds remaining.
Please note that the registration deadline will be extended until December 16, 2016 for all travel award applicants. For successful applicants, registration costs will be deducted from the travel award and sent directly to the conference treasurer. Unsuccessful applicants who still wish to attend the conference may register until December 16, 2016 at normal registration prices.